Sunday, June 5, 2022

Up close with Morandi

If you are in Rome this spring do not miss the Morandi show at the Mattia De Luca Gallery.
When I think of Morandi I tend to think of something modestly gorgeous like this.
What fun to be able to stand in front of it and really look -- first at the paint -- then at the overall conception -- then back at the paint again.
I found this canvas to be particularly mysterious -- the way the stem of the vase sinks back into the space between the blocks behind, almost as if detached.
Here is a detail. I want the stem to come forward in space but it refuses. Why did Morandi paint it that way?
My idea of an immersive art experience is to stand in front of an artwork and look at it closely for a long time.
So much to look at here.
Your reporter bringing home the details.
Bill and I were both drawn to this unusual still life.
Details: these delicate pinks and browns. The modeling of the jug in three dimensions.
A different range of pinks and browns. Recalls Chardin.
I was also interested to see how the artist stretched and stapled his canvas to its support.
And look at this watercolour sketch!
That electric shadow between the jugs -- it sings!
Thank you Signor Morandi for giving us so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment