Monday, October 31, 2022

Santa Maria della Scala

The church of Santa Maria della Scala is one of the most charming in Trastevere.
The name translates as Saint Mary of the Staircase, but I can't find a reference to a staircase in the literature.
Bill and I think of it as Saint Mary of the Chandeliers.
There is a nice religious feeling here. I always sit awhile.
A look at the Madonna and Child to the left of the altar.
The atmosphere is so quiet that even abstract details have a chance to come forward.
Be sure to look at the floor. It is filled with images carved into the memorial stones.
Every time I visit I try to get a shot of what I think of as a lion skin. That's a shadow from a nearby pew over the face.
On my most recent visit I noticed these memento mori
decorating the edge of a memorial stone.
And these wonderful skulls and crossbones
at the four corners of another stone.
Memento Mori is Latin for "Remember you must die".
These skulls are so casually drawn,
almost contemporary.
We'll end todays visit with these saints
Their eyes heavenward. Memento mori!

2 comments:

  1. Those skulls are perfect for Hallowe'en!
    Thanks for these fascinating posts.
    So enjoyable to retrace your steps.
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just steps from Santa Maria in Trastevere. You won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete