Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Mexico City Haircut

Bill and I have been in Mexico City for a week and I have noticed that the Mexican men are very well groomed. I needed a haircut and thought if I found the right shop it might be fun to get a cut.
 We were taking pictures in La Condesa neighbourhood yesterday and came upon this classy, old-fashioned barber shop.  It was exactly what I had been looking for. 
I asked Bill if he minded the delay. He was fine. A cut wouldn't take very long. We walked in. I said "Hola," and one of the barbers stood and directed me to his chair.
 I pointed at my head and told the barber, "Corto" (short). He asked me "Numero?". He was asking what length of guards to put on his machina (clippers).
I said, "Tres" (a half inch) pointing to the top of my head,
 and "cero" (zero) indicating the sides. He went to work.
 As he was finishing, I got out my phone. Bill took the other pictures from his chair by the windows.
 I got a very nice cut for about ten dollars. Skilled labour is still inexpensive in Mexico.
 I asked my barber to pose by his chair. If I lived here I would become a regular.
Barber shop: Peluqueria Oropel: Fernando Montes de Oca at Yautepec.

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering when you'd make the rounds of Mexico City barbershops. Good cut! Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Lewis, I have been looking. This is far and away the nicest.

    ReplyDelete