Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Potting Season

Every year, about halfway through May, Bill decides it is safe to plant on our balcony.
He favours two small nurseries on Dundas Street.
We had a spell of summer weather last week. For the first time this year I was able to sit on the balcony with a book. Bliss.
But I was happy to clear the table and let Bill get some planting done.
He plants. I clean up. That's our deal. Later I spread my books out again.
I think Bill's recycling looks like contemporary sculpture.
I also love the look of his "drainage" bits.
His broken pottery shards look like artifacts on "Digging in Britain".
Pottery shards cover drainage holes.
So the water doesn't collect in the bottom of the pot. 
On the weekend we bought some lobelia
Bill planted them around the zinnias in the long pots.
Then I settled in with a new crop of books.
I had a look at the zinnias. They look happy.

12 comments:

  1. The zinnias look glorious! Your description of the shards being artifacts is apt. Such a great reuse for those sadly broken bits of pottery. Cycle of life! Your balcony is always a treasure to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Q. Glad you could stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really feeling summery in the past week.
    Welcome flowers and herbs!
    The planters look very good.
    Lisa R-R

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading that book
    Jean Michel Basquiat/Xerox,
    great minds think a like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a summer reading list?
    Or do you just graze and look for a book that interests you to read?

    C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are your plants and flowers managing to survive this heat wave?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, they are hanging-in. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the good recycling idea, I now know what to do with that pottery I made at a ceramics class at Central Technical School. I can break it up for drainage for the bottom of my planters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a tropical heatwave.
    It's a tropical heatwave.

    And when will it end?

    Have you made it out of the city to cottage country, before the 4th wave lockdown happens?

    ReplyDelete