Sunday, May 31, 2020

How Spring Came to Toronto in 2020

Whatever we end up saying about the arrival of Spring in Toronto in 2020 
we will agree that the cool, wet weather encouraged the lushest possible vegetation. 
Bulbs came up in April and instead of disappearing in a few days the flowers lasted for weeks. 
The shrubs flowered and the flowers lasted and lasted.
 All through April and May Toronto has been a paradise in blossom.
Also flourishing in Toronto, and around the world, is a new strand of Corona Virus. When Bill and I understood that masks might protect others from ourselves, he sewed a pair from two of my father's vintage cotton handkerchiefs.
 Gorgeous spring light accompanied us on our walks as the streets emptied.
 Was interesting to see local streets without cars parked everywhere.
Bill and I continued our habit of going out once a day 
for groceries or a take-out lunch. Thanks for all the sandwiches, Jay!
We were so happy that Saffron stayed open.
Thanks for all the curries, Johnne! 
 The wet season kept us off our bikes and so we rediscovered the pleasures of Toronto on foot.
 I did miss doing the rounds of my favourite record shops. 
When would I be able to browse for treasures again?  
 I was surprised to see a box outside Toronto Western Hospital soliciting donations of personal protective equipment for hospital staff. Thought the provincial government provided these.
As we got into our third month of sheltering in place we were excited to see any signs of shops and restaurants re-opening. 
 Halfway through May two record stores re-opened. I was among the first in line to enter the scrupulously sterilized premises -- and found myself a treasure (vintage German electronica -- woo hoo!)
 Spring is turning to early summer now.
It has certainly been the prettiest Spring on record. 
Now we'll see what June is going to throw at us.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry I had some issues commenting (now trying to use Chrome - if that works).
    Thanks for posting! I definitely enjoy perusing your photos and going along for your walks (or your takeout lunches!)
    Lisa R-R

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had issues trying to comment on our own blog. Safari is a write-off in that regard. Glad you are enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope people continue to wear masks in the future. I haven't had a cold or the flu at all.
    I just wonder is cough medicine sales are down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where have all the flowers gone?

    ReplyDelete