Monday, April 4, 2011

On the couch with Maurizio Cattelan

  I got some library books this week on artist Maurizio Cattelan and had a good look at them yesterday afternoon while Bill was napping.
Yale University Press published Franklin Sirmans' book Maurizio Cattelan: Is There Life Before Death? 
I took a close-up of the title page and the camera set the white value to neutral gray. I'm aware that light meters do that but have forgotten the advice that goes with it. They say one should point the camera at something neutral gray when setting the level. Here's what happens when you don't.
I love this set of sculptures carved to represent shroud-draped life-sized bodies. All, 2007 (white Carrara marble). I find them very moving. I'd love to see Ydessa Hendeles buy it and bring it to Toronto.
I love this, too. It's so silly, it makes me smile. Untitled, 2008 (boots and pepper plants).
I'd love to see this for real. It's amazing. Untitled, 2007 (taxidermied horse).
The library also had Phaidon Press' book on Cattelan. It's so tiny. Usually the Phaidon books are a foot square.
Nice Italian pharmacy and Bar signs, but is this a Cattelan photo, or installation, or both? I can't find any information in the book, not even a title.
Nice illustration! 4 Bananas by Erwin Wurm (please click to enlarge). Permanent Food is a magazine that Cattelan edited with Paola Manfrin. On the right are some page spreads. Bill's up and doing Paris research at the computer.
I love these tiny elevator doors that Cattelan had installed in a gallery in Yokohama. Untitled, 2001, in two parts (stainless steel, composition wood, electric motor, electric light, electric bell, computer).

No comments:

Post a Comment